Freitag, 26. Dezember 2014

Preparing myself for FBI National Academy

 
 


Why this blog?

In a couple of days I'll leave  for the United States to attend  FBI National Academy. It will be an intensive course and I will be away for a couple of weeks. This blog should be an opportunity to keep in contact with colleagues and friends from Germany and all over the world.  I'll intend to update my experiences, illustrated with pictures, once a week. If you like- follow my blog and leave a short message to get in contact.



 Application Phase
 
It was 2011 when I heart first time about FBI National Academy. During my former responsibility in the Landeskriminalamt Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (LKA -State Department of Criminal Investigation) I got in contact to FBI liasion officers in Berlin and Frankfurt/Main. They asked me to join FBI National Academy in Quantico. It was a great honour to get that potential opportunity from FBI. At that time I requested LKA-director Ingolf Mager and ministery of interior to support my application. I got approval and full support. Next step was proceeding  FBI National Academy nomination and selection phase in 2011-2012. Special thanks to former FBI-liasion officers Special Agent Christine Awender, Special Agent Alexander Murray and current Legal Attachè Jason Kruger. It was a hugh challenge to pass telephone language test with three lectures from Washington D.C., written test, a lot of paperwork  and extensive medical check successfully.  It worked. Primary my participation at FBI National Academy was scheduled for spring 2013 but I had to change depending on familiar circumstances. So I'm very glad to get opportunity to participate session 259 in January 2015. Special thanks to my current chief Polizeipräsident Thomas Laum who also supported my application when I started new responsiblity in 2012 at Polizeipräsidium Rostock, Polizeiinspektion Wismar.
 
 
 Current Preparation for NA


 
I'm just preparing FBI National Academy participation on different stages.  I created a personal check-list including all administrative, logistical and personal matters.
 
At first it's important to get information. I'm in contact to FBI-liasion officer Jason Kruger as well as BKA-FBI liasion officer Washington D.C. Christian Simon.
I also read the National Academy Orientation Booklet.  Further I talked to FBI-NA graduates like Klaus Mirsch from LKA Niedersachsen and other fellows from Bundeskriminalamt and Austrian Police. Special thanks to all!  It's also very useful to read latest FBI NAsession blogs about experiences of participants. It gives a realistic imagination and picture what will be happen and expected at Quantico. There are often useful recommendations for the following participants.
 
In Germany I finished  the internal administrative paperwork and travel preparations for the United States. Special thanks to head of my local Police Department, Dr. Michael Peters. He'll shoulder allday business and management at Polizeiinspektion Wismar without deputy for a couple of months during my stay at Quantico.
 
One of the most important basics are regulations of family matters and social relations with friends. I'll be away from home for 10 weeks without any possiblitiy to assist as a family member in allday-life. It's a big challenge. My daily duties will be done by the other family members, especially my wife.  We agreed solutions, processes and communication channels. I really have to thank my wife for backstopping me.
 
Regarding my direct preparation for FBI National Academy, session 259 I selected and signed up my courses on FBI-Virtual Academy platform. Currently I prepare course related material from my work-experience to implement. Further I  prepare/collect general presentations, give-aways, pictures for introduction of German police, my state and further more. It's a result of teamwork, because I got support from all around. Special thanks to my colleagues who supported my preparations.
 
On physical field I intensified PT-workout program and running. I heart about daily sports-program and challenges like the Yellow-Brick-Road and the Blue-Brick-Challenge. I'll be prepared and looking forward to my FBI-fitness instructor E.J. O'Malley.
 
By the way I almost use  every chance to improve my English skills. My international contacts on Skype and Mail are very helpful to train myself for Quantico.  Hope to stand the language standard at Quantico very fast. I bought special police dictionary and read international reports, papers to enlarge my professional vocabulary.
 
However, looking forward to National Academy and my upcoming session-mates. See you at Quantico.
 
 
Heiko Tesch

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen